The Observer’s Looking For a Membership Manager
Membership Manager for The Texas Observer
Applications accepted through April 14th
The Membership Manager will report and be accountable to the Publisher of The Texas Observer and will be responsible for contributing to and implementing business operations goals related to increasing print and online subscriptions of the magazine, and overall digital readership.
As the primary responsibility of the Membership Manager is to implement strategies that lead to an increase in print and online subscriptions of The Texas Observer, the job duties will include the following:
- Manages all aspects of circulation and distribution, including maintaining current subscriber records in our database (CiviCRM), and ensuring that subscriber records are current and correct.
- Maintains donor and prospect records in CiviCRM to assist the Publisher in fundraising and outreach efforts and manages regular contribution acknowledgements.
- In collaboration with the Publisher, creates and implements innovative and effective subscription/membership campaigns, including direct mail pieces; drafts marketing and social media copy; creates and sends renewal appeals on a monthly basis.
- Manages various programs to increase donations, online readership and participation, memberships, and digital subscriptions.
- Acts as first point of contact for support inquiries from subscribers/members.
- Identifies and implements improvements to the subscription and donation processes, particularly those conducted online.
- Manages print production, including coordinating the editors’ schedule with magazine printer, reporting to the post office regarding the number and size of ads per issue, and providing up-to-date digital mailing list to the mailing house.
- Assists with event planning and event RSVP responsibilities, and oversees Final Friday event series.
- Assists with the Board of Directors meetings by providing requested information and trend analysis.
- Provides support for fundraising programs as needed through database querying, spreadsheet management, donor tracking and related functions.
- Performs light administrative work, including but not limited to sending and receiving mail, receiving and routing phone calls, preparing mailouts, corresponding with vendors, and list management.
- Performs additional tasks as directed by the Publisher.
- Four year degree preferred
- Minimum 1-2 years of experience in database management
- Basic experience with customer service and telephone reception
- Positive attitude, enthusiasm and energy
- Strong communications and interpersonal skills with ability to communicate well with customers, community partners, staff and Board of Directors
- Demonstrated expertise in problem solving and ability to organize and manage multiple priorities
Specific knowledge requirements
- Software: Proficient in MS Office products (including mail merge functions), internet and database maintenance. Basic HTML skills highly desired.
- Database management: Demonstrated skills in navigating and maintaining databases, using queries and producing reports, and importing and exporting data.
- Project management: Track record of successful project management including subscription driven donor development, outreach and follow-up. Must have demonstrated success in setting and accomplishing operational goals.
- Fundraising: Must have demonstrable success in supporting successful fundraising strategies within a nonprofit framework by using database queries and structures.
- Media: Experience in managing magazine circulation is helpful, as well as a basic familiarity with bookkeeping, production, distribution, advertising, marketing and administration.
To apply, please send a cover letter, resume, and three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org.