Texas Observer Jobs
Editor in Chief
The Texas Observer seeks an editor-in-chief to shape the next chapter of our storied publication.
We’re looking for a seasoned journalist—with a minimum of five years of experience as an editor in a senior leadership role—who brings a vision for the future of independent media and the Texas Observer’s role in it. Along with a passion for longform storytelling, investigative reporting, and incisive commentary, our next editor will take inspiration from our founding mission statement: “We will take orders from none but our own conscience, and never will we overlook or misrepresent the truth to serve the interests of the powerful or cater to the ignoble in the human spirit.”
The editor of the Texas Observer will spend equal amounts of time in and out of the office. The editor will be the public face of the Observer, promoting its work and mission and finding new opportunities for partnerships. Inside the office, the Observer needs a proven manager with experience overseeing a team and crafting editorial assignments.
You must be a mission-oriented professional with an ability to work independently and think on your feet. You’ll help chart an editorial course, ensuring the Observer maintains its role as a go-to source for key beats including criminal justice, civil rights, the environment, public health, immigration, and politics, but also strategize ways to reach new audiences (particularly online). You’ll also work with our board and our publisher to determine the ways our nimble outlet can evolve in the midst of an ever-changing media landscape.
With a top-notch editorial staff, you will guide and implement the Observer’s vision for fearless reporting.
The ideal candidate is:
- Familiar with the national and international media trends both in print and online;
- Familiar with and passionate about Texas news and politics;
- Adept at working with writers to craft compelling and provocative narrative stories, deeply reported longform pieces, and must-read opinion and criticism;
- An experienced manager with an eye for organizational strategy;
- Fully committed to the organization’s ideals;
- A superb line editor with meticulous attention to detail;
- Fluent in digital media and online storytelling;
- One who brings a creative, problem-solving approach to challenges;
- Excited about doing some of the best journalism in Texas (and beyond!)
Send a résumé, cover letter, and no more than five links to clips of your writing as well as pieces you’ve edited to: jobs AT texasobserver.org.
- Medical, vision and dental insurance.
- 15 days of paid time off.
- Up to 12 weeks of paid family leave.
- A retirement plan with TxO matching.
- Support for professional training and attending industry conferences.
About us: We are a storied publication with a proud tradition of independent ass-kicking reporting and commentary. In the last few years, our reporters have won an Emmy, a National Magazine Award, a first-place Society of Professional Journalists award, and a Hillman Prize. We’re a nonprofit with a strong public service mission; we seek to expose injustice and to produce the kind of impact journalism that makes a difference.
We are committed to diversity and to building an inclusive working environment for people of all backgrounds and ages. We are an equal opportunity employer. We welcome and encourage all applicants regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, AIDS/HIV status, national origin, veteran or disability status.