Texas Observer Jobs: Environment Reporter
The Texas Observer seeks an environment reporter to join our 65-year-old, mission-oriented publication. Throughout our history, the Observer has prioritized the environment as a core issue to cover, especially in a state known for its natural resources. As we see it, the environment in Texas is precious and vital — and also under threat. It’s never been more important to have smart, fearless, rigorous coverage of this beat.
The ideal candidate for this position has a record of deep reporting and narrative storytelling, preferably on this issue, though that is not required. We are looking for reporters who value the power of longform investigative journalism, but still have a hearty appetite for filing incremental news stories. Experience with data journalism is a plus.
You must be a mission-oriented professional with an ability to work quickly and independently.
- A minimum of three years’ experience as a reporter.
- Experience in investigative reporting and fluency in the tools needed to dig deep on a story.
- Experience writing daily stories with original reporting.
- An aptitude for generating story ideas of various scope and lengths, and seeing them through to fruition.
- Must be conscientious about accuracy and fact-checking, and enjoy, or at least pretend to enjoy, the editing process.
- Knowledge of Texas companies, politics, and culture, especially as they pertain to this beat, is a plus.
Send your résumé, cover letter and no more than five clips to: jobs AT texasobserver.org. The deadline to apply is August 5.
About us: We are a storied publication with a proud tradition of independent ass-kicking reporting and commentary. In the last few years, our reporters have won an Emmy, a National Magazine Award, a first-place Society of Professional Journalists award, and a Hillman Prize. We’re a nonprofit with a strong public service mission; we seek to expose injustice and to produce the kind of impact journalism that makes a difference.
We are committed to diversity and to building an inclusive working environment for people of all backgrounds and ages. We are an equal opportunity employer. We welcome and encourage all applicants regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, AIDS/HIV status, national origin, veteran or disability status.