The Texas Observer Seeks Politics Reporter
The Texas Observer is seeking a politics reporter to join our 62-year-old, mission-oriented publication to help us cover our brave new Trump-ian world. Join our team as we add staff during a period of growth.
If you believe in an adversarial, fact-based media that speaks truth to power, this may be the place for you. Texas politics is raw, entertaining, infuriating — and it’s never been more important to have smart, fearless, humorous coverage. You love politics but see it as more than just a game or horse-race. You see journalism as a calling, and believe in the Observer’s tradition of public-interest reporting.
- You must have a minimum of three years experience as a reporter.
- You must have a knack for investigative stories as well as be fluent in short, timely, web-friendly reporting.
- You know your way around open records requests, datasets, government documents and other tools of the trade.
- You excel at generating story ideas and seeing them through to fruition over the course of days, weeks or months.
- You have an impeccable eye for detail, are extremely conscientious about accuracy and enjoy, or at least pretend to enjoy, the editing process.
This is a challenging but fulfilling position for a high-energy candidate with a zeal for holding the powerful to account. Familiarity with Texas culture and politics is not necessary but will be given extra consideration.
Please send résumé, cover letter and five clips to [email protected] by Dec. 13. Please include “Politics Reporter” in the subject line.