Editorial and Business Offices: The Texas Observer, 600 W. 7th St., Austin, Texas 78701. Telephone 477-0746. 7-420.'”1.:71 Brackenridge… 1910, Brackenridge deeded his 500 acres on the Colorado to the university “for educational purposes.” The deed provided that if the University of Texas attempted to sell the land, before the death of certain stipulated Brackenridge survivors, the land would remainder over to Jackson County. \(Brackenridge surveyed Jackson County in the 1850s. According to Haley, the good citizens of the county wanted to string him up because of his Yankee sympathies. “I left on a good dark horse, before dawn. I’ve always been grateful for the fact that they didn’t and I wanted to show it,” Littlefield was none too fond of the idea of moving the university, since he lived next door to the campus, right down Whitis Avenue from the women’s dormitory he had built and named after his wife Alice. It could have been the news of the Brackenridge deed that goaded Littlefield to civic action. Haley writes, “Perhaps he fumed in his office and bowed his neck, as he sat at his desk beneath the large mural of a Hereford bull called the `Pride of the Herd,’ and made up his mind that no ‘damned Yankee,’ much less one who left Texas between suns on a good black horse, could appropriate the school under his very nose.” In 1911, Gov. 0. B. Colquitt appointed Littlefield to the Board of Regents and Littlefield vowed he would never serve on the same board as his arch rival. Brackenridge went on a long and thoughtful fishing trip, and, when he returned, he resigned from the board. Both men continued inundating the school with their largesse. Littlefield paid for the construction of the Main Building and Wrenn Library and he established a fund to promote the study of Southern history. Brackenridge paid the bill for B Hall, for a dormitory for women medical students in Galveston and made numerous bequests to other educational institutions. In 1917, when Gov. James Ferguson tried to veto the itemized appropriations for the university, Brackenridge pledged he personally would underwrite all the school’s expenses for the biennium. Littlefield offered to match him dollar for dollar, but both men were spared the staggering expense \(staggering for those attorney general opined that Ferguson’s veto was invalid. Both George Washingtons died in the winter of 1920. The next year, President Vinson began a lobbying effort to fulfill Brackenridge’s dream of a university on the Colorado. The regents passed a resolution endorsing the move and both Austin papers, the American and the Statesman, wrote editorials in its favor. The Chamber of Commerce was fully behind the relocation. Opposition within the city came mainly from store proprietors and boarding house owners near the 40 Acres. THE LOCATION of the University of Texas became the cause celebre of the Legislature that year. Sen. J. C. McNealus of Dallas sponsored a . resolution to move the school midway between Dallas and Ft. Worth. His suggestion never got very far, but it made the 40 Acres and Colorado River advocates more amenable to compromise. After much haggling, the Legislature decided to leave the university where it was while providing funds to acquire more land adjacent to the 40 Acres. Brackenridge’s idyllic campus on the gently rolling hills near the river was never to be. The university built a biological field laboratory and some apartments for married students on the Brackenridge Tract. One acre on the east shore of Lake Austin has been leased to the city for a boat dock, one of the precious few points of public access to the lake inside city limits. There’s a city-run Little League park on the tract. And the city has been leasing a large section of the tract for use as a golf course. The land is now apparently to be put to some commercial use. Regent Frank C. Erwin, Jr., announced in August that the school is repossessing the golf course, the one-acre city park and Knebel Field \(the property for the benefit of the university. We could build on it, sell it or lease it, but we must benefit from the $8 million worth of land,” Erwin said. The boat dock and the baseball field lose their leases Nov. 7. The golf course lease expires Aug. 7, 1973. Rumor is, in Austin business circles, that the land will be sold to developers for building expensive West Austin homes. The Austin City Council has uttered nary a peep in protest. Rumor is that Mayor Roy Butler is one of the future investors in the development. That’s only a rumor, but a prevalent one. So goes one of the last few green belts in West Austin, some of the choicest land in Central Texas. IT WAS NO easy task to circumvent the intent of the Brackenridge EDITOR Kaye Northcott CO-EDITOR Moll Ivins ASSOCIATE EDITOR John Ferguson EDITOR AT LARGE Ronnie Dugger REVIEW EDITOR Steve Barthelme Contributing Editors: Winston Bode, Bill Brammer, Gary Cartwright, Sue Horn Estes, Joe Frantz, Larry Goodwyn, Harris Green, Bill Hamilton, Bill Helmer, Dave Hickey, Franklin Jones, Lyman Jones, Larry L. King, Georgia Earnest Klipple, Larry Lee, Al Melinger, Robert L. Montgomery, Willie Morris, Bill Porterfield, James Presley, Charles Ramsdell, Buck Ramsey, John Rogers, Mary Beth Rogers, Roger Shattuck, Edwin Shrake, Dan Strawn, John P. Sullivan, Tom Sutherland. Charles Alan Wright. We will serve no group or party but will hew hard to the truth as we find it and the right as we see it. We are dedicated to the whole truth, to human values above all interests, to the rights of man as the foundation of democracy; we will take orders from none but our own conscience, and never will we overlook or misrepresent the truth to serve the interests of the powerful or cater to the ignoble in the human spirit. The editor has exclusive control over the editorial policies and contents of the Observer. None of the other people who are associated with the enterprise shares this responsibility with her. Writers are responsible for their own work, but not for anything they have not themselves written, and in publishing them the editor does not necessarily imply that she agrees with them, because this is a journal of free voices. THE TEXAS OBSERVER The Texas Observer Publishing Co. 1972 Ronnie Dugger, Publisher A window to the South A journal of free voices Vol. LXIV, No. 18 Sept. 22, 1972 Incorporating the State Observer and the East Texas Democrat, which in turn incorporated the Austin ForumAdvocate. BUSINESS STAFF Sarah Boardman Joe Espinosa Jr. Marcus Mosbacker C. R. Olofson The Observer is published by Texas Observer Publishing Co., biweekly from Austin, Texas. Entered as second-class matter April 26, 1937, at the Post Office at Austin, Texas, under the Act of March 3, 1879. Second class postage paid at Austin, Texas. Single copy, 25c. One year, $7.00; two years, $13.00; three years. $18.00; plus, for Texas addresses, 5% sales tax. Foreign, except APO/FPO, 50c additional per year. Airmail, bulk orders, and group rates on request. Microfilmed by Microfilming Corporation of America, 21 Harristown Road, Glen Rock, N.J. 07452. Change of Address: Please give old and new address, including zip codes, and allow two weeks. Postmaster: Send form 3579 to Texas Observer, 600 W. 7th St., Austin, Texas 78701.