The Observer’s Looking For a Membership Manager
Job Description: Membership Manager for The Texas Observer
The Membership Manager will report and be accountable to the Publisher of The Texas Observer and will be responsible for contributing to and implementing business operations goals related to increasing print and online subscriptions of the magazine. Duties will include but may not be limited to: managing all aspects of circulation and distribution; oversight of newsstand distribution, expansion, and tracking; oversight on online memberships/subscriptions and donations, expansion and tracking; maintenance of circulation statistics for The Texas Observer, the Board of Directors and the Post Office; management of the exchange and rental of The Texas Observer mailing list; managing the Observer thank you letters; handling particular marketing efforts, including some email blasts, direct mail, assistance with events and online marketing; and other duties as assigned related to increasing print and online subscriptions to The Texas Observer. The Membership Manager develops, maintains and applies lists of names and contact information within The Texas Observer database – Civi CRM; seeks to increase circulation of the magazine and its related online and mobile sites through research and application of new subscription/donation models; works with the webmaster to facilitate ease of online subscription renewals and occasionally travels to support Observer events and activities.
Performance indicators will be recorded for the Membership Manager and used for scheduled performance review tied to written goals and expectations and conducted by the Publisher.
The Membership Manager is expected to understand and abide by all company policies and procedures, and applicable laws and regulations.
As the primary responsibility of the Membership Manager is to implement strategies that lead to an increase in print and online subscriptions of The Texas Observer, the job duties will include the following:
- Manages all aspects of circulation and distribution, including adding and deleting subscribers in our subscriber database (CiviCRM), ensuring that subscriber records are current and correct, sending timely (monthly) renewal letters and invoices to subscribers; and sending invoices to particular newsstands.
- Works with the Publisher to create and implement 1-2 subscription campaigns, including direct mail pieces, each year, plus creates and sends renewals letters on a monthly basis.
- Manages programs to increase giving/memberships online and digital subscriptions through targeted strategies.
- Recruits and manages marketing interns.
- Identifies and implements improvements to the subscription and donation processes, particularly those conducted online.
- Manages print production, including coordinating the editors’ schedule with magazine printer, reporting to the post office regarding the number and size of ads per issue, and providing up-to-date digital mailing list to the mailing house.
- Creates and sends form thank you letters/receipts for all gifts given on a weekly basis.
- Performs particular marketing tasks, including many blast emails and some event planning/RSVP responsibilities.
- Assists with the Board of Directors meetings every 2 months.
- Provides support for fundraising programs as needed.
- Performs tasks as directed by the Publisher
- Four year degree preferred
- Minimum 1-2 years of experience in database management
- Basic experience with customer service
- Positive attitude, enthusiasm and energy
- Strong communications and interpersonal skills with ability to communicate well with customers, community partners, staff and Board of Directors
- Demonstrated expertise in problem solving and ability to organize and manage multiple priorities
- Specific knowledge requirements:
- Software: Proficient in MS Office products, internet and database management and mail merge
- Database management: Demonstrate skills in navigating all database interfaces, importing and exporting tables to or from Excel, and querying data
- Project management: Track record of successful project management including subscription driven donor development, outreach and follow-up. Must have demonstrated success in setting and accomplishing operational goals.
- Fundraising: Must have documented success in using database queries and structure while supporting successful fundraising strategies within a nonprofit framework.
- Media: Experience in managing magazine circulation is preferred, as well as a basic familiarity with bookkeeping, production, distribution, advertising, marketing and administration.
For any questions or to apply for this position, please contact Piper Stege Nelson, Publisher, at 512.477.0746 or by email at [email protected].